Sunday, January 13, 2013

Jet Set Style: DC Edition

Today I'm flying back home after an amazing weekend in Virginia/DC for my friend Jen's wedding and some relaxing time with the Professor. Putting together a traveling outfit is always fun. Back in the day, people used to dress to travel. Not so much anymore. You'd be amazed at what I've seen people wear to the airport. (Hint: Tights are not pants. They never have been. They never will be. PUT ON SOME PANTS, LADIES!!!!)

But I digress... my point is: I want to be stylish, comfortable and TSA-approved when I travel. Wearing a dress is the most comfortable option 100% of the time, so I usually try to fly in one. Unfortunately, if it's too full or billowy, I tend to get flagged down for the TSA pat-down to make sure I'm not smuggling anything under all that fabric. I consider it a small inconvenience and pretty much a fair exchange for being comfortable over the next several hours while I'm waiting in the terminal or sitting on the plane.

I put together another look on polyvore inspired by my traveling outfit this weekend. It's a simple red sweater dress with tights, flat boots and of course all my traveling gear. And yes, that is a ukulele case in the set.

Jet Set Style: DC Edition



Side note: My uke goes pretty much everywhere with me nowadays. My repertoire is up to about 6 songs now, but two of them are seasonal, so I don't really count them. I've had a request to learn "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" in the style of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (can ANYONE pronounce that?!?! For serious?!?!). I'm pretty decent on the uke, but it's the vocals that I just can't seem to do justice. His voice was so rich and deep. Mine just sounds shrill compared to that. So of course I enlisted the Professor's help in performing this particular song. Perhaps there will be a YouTube video in our future. If you have any songs you think I should learn to play on my uke, feel free to leave a comment.

But back to the fashion: the colors are pretty much all over the place, but that's mostly because I have a hideous purple suitcase (more easily identifiable than black at baggage claim), and my coral Kate Spade bag is awesome, but doesn't go that well with my red dress. But it's so fabulous, I could care less. The boots are kind of a pain at the security gate, but I'd rather wear them and have that small hassle than take up valuable suitcase space. Am I right? You know I am.

What do you wear when you travel? Leave a comment and tell me all about it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails