Friday, December 30, 2011

Some recent creations...

Over the last few weeks, I've been getting back into knitting. I did quite a bit of sewing in my free time this year, but winter is defeinitely a good time to get back into sewing. My good friend Brance just loves the stocking that I knit for him a couple of years ago. He loves it so much, he actually wanted a coordinating one to give to his girlfriend this Christmas. The only way to get a truly coordinating stocking made with the same pattern and yarn is to go right back to the source. 

You can see the original stocking I knit for Brance on this older post, and of course the coordinating one for his girlfriend here: 

I'm pretty excited about how it came out. This stocking is such a great one- it knits in just a couple of hours. the yarn is thick and chunky and the needles are size 13, so it really does go very quickly once you get started. It knits on double-pointed needles. The loop and pom-poms are my own addition to the pattern and  like how they came out! 

In addition to the stocking, I also managed to make a super snuggle-y infinity scarf for Juhree using a cream colored thick yarn. The pattern is simple- just popcorn stitch the whole way, then sew the ends together: 


So warm and cuddly! It took a little less than four skeins of yarn and about 6 hours to knit this scarf. The popcorn stitch looks great, but it uses a LOT of yarn. If you want to make one for yourself, just use size 10 1/2 needles and 4 balls of Wool-ease Thick & Quick Yarn in the color of your choice. Cast on 32 stitches and knit in popcorn stitch (K1,P1 across odd rows, P1, K1 across even rows) until the scarf measures 60 inches or so. Sew the ends together to create a loop. You'll be warm all winter in this gorgeous scarf.

Now that I'm done my projects, I really want to find a new one to work on. Rather than head to the store for more yarn, I'm going to see what left-over yarn I have kicking around and I'm going to see what I can do with what I have.

Do you knit or crochet? I'd love to see the projects you are working on! Email me or leave a comment to tell me all about it! Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

Becca Leduc said...

Gorgeous creations, Renée! I'm in love with that infinity scarf! :)

melina bee said...

wow, great job, esp with that adorbs pom pom! I love how knitted garments look but I am so terrible at it! Maybe I'd be better at crochet?

Not Specified said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Not Specified said...

Hi! I saw your infinity scarf and fell in love with the design. I tried doing a popcorn stitch for a scarf of my own, but it doesn't come out looking the way yours does. I also can't decipher the abbreviation instructions that you've put up. Could you tell me how you crochet that designed?

Renée T. Habashy said...

Paige- the instructions above for K1,P1 simple mean to knit one stitch, then pearl one stitch. Comtinue alternating stitches across the entire row. For the next row, you pearl one stitch, then knit one stitch across the entire row. In other words, you are always pearling the knit stitches and knitting the pearled stitches. Does that make sense?

Related Posts with Thumbnails