Sunday, August 28, 2011

Accessories Anonymous: Fashion for my Nook

I recently entered the ranks of the e-reader elite. Yup, I bought a Nook. I did not go for the new Nook Color, but instead opted for the Nook 1st Edition for several reasons. First, I compared the Nook to the Kindle and various other e-readers. I also tested out reading a book on both the Kindle and the Nook once I knew I'd narrowed it down to one of those two devices. In the end, there were a few distinct features that helped me make my decision:

I knew I wanted an e-reader mostly for books and the occasional newspaper, but not magazines.
I knew I did NOT want anything with a backlit/LED-type screen, but rather the e-Ink black and white screen that is not lit in any way.
I knew I wanted 3G so that I could download new books anywhere anytime.

I compared pricing on the different devices and also on the books available for each device. The Nook 1st Edition was more expensive than the Kindle, but I preferred the touch screen on the Nook 1st Edition to the keypad of the Kindle. Truly, I preferred the size and touch screen of the Nook Touch, but unfortunately that device was only available with Wi-Fi, not 3G. In reading all sorts of reviews of all the different devices, the bottom line was this: the Nook 1st Edition has 3G and a more user-friendly navigation (in my opinion) than the Kindle and since the other Nook options don't include 3G, it made for a simple decision.

But far and away the most exciting part of outfitting my Nook was selecting the cover for it. Honestly, between Kate Spade and Jonathan Adler, etc., there are quite a few stylish options for a Nook case. In the end, I went with JavoEdge in a fabulous bright floral print:


Honestly, I wouldn't mind a cute skirt or sundress in this print, either. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to make sure my Nook is fully charged before the worst of Hurricane Irene hits my town. 

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and if you're on the east coast, stay safe! 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails