Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Rate My Look- Color blocking


Color blocking has been all over the place for months now, so I suppose I ought to get around to talking about it here. Color blocking is simple and it is clearly demonstrated in my outfit pictured above. The idea is to group and stack colors together, in "blocks." Just like using colorful blocks as a kid and stacking and grouping them into structures. Instead of wooden blocks, you use clothing. As you can see from the picture, my skirt has color-blocking built into it with the gray on top of the black. The addition of the teal top only adds to the concept. In color blocking, there are no prints involved, only different groups of solid colors. It was a little chilly, so I had to add the cardigan to the outfit, but once again, I stuck with a solid. 

Because this trend is so popular right now, it's easy to find clothing with color blocking built into it. For example, this BCBGMAXAZRIA color-blocked dress: 


Of course, you don't need to run out and buy a bunch of color-blocked clothes to be part of this trend. Simply group several solid-color separates together. A solid blue skirt with a solid yellow top and a wide brown belt- get the idea? Put together a color blocked outfit and submit it to me to show on the blog- I'd love to see what you come up with! 

3 comments:

Taylor said...

Fabulous. I love the teal with the grey and black. Did you make that skirt? I *tried* color blocking yesterday - white top, marigold belt, magenta skirt, cobalt pumps. I think I'll get braver net time I try to do it!

Beth said...

Very nice. Your hair with the teal is a great combo. Go brunettes!

Renée T. Habashy said...

Taylor- I checked out your outfit- you did great!

Beth- Thanks so much! I am definitely happy as a brunette!

Related Posts with Thumbnails