Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Rate My Look- Opposites Attract

You know how I'm often saying you should pair edgy with soft, dark with light, shiny with matte, menswear with feminine? Well, I wore an outfit to work the other day that was relatively new and one of my coworkers said, "I love how you matched military-inspired with sparkly and fun. Smart girl- she's on to me:

Top: Ann Taylor Loft, $19.99 (on sale)
Skirt: The Garment District, $9 (second hand)
Boots: Marshalls, $34 (on sale)
Ring: Salmagundi, $40

The whole outfit is one big bargain, if you ask me. Well, maybe not the ring, but everything else, for sure. The top I found while out shopping with Beth- we popped into an Ann Taylor Loft in downtown Boston so she could find a dress to wear to a friend's wedding (which she did). While she was in the fitting room, I found the sequin top on the 50% off sale rack and just HAD to try it on. Earlier that day, I'd been at The Garment District in Cambridge trying to spend my $40 gift card from Groupon. Do you guys know about Groupon? More on it later for those of you who don't. Anyway, the skirt was in their second-hand/vintage section, but I loved the way the pockets were sewn on and the fuller silhouette. I have been mildly obsessed with slimmer skirt silhouettes lately, but I still love me a nice gathered skirt. The boots I found while out shopping with Beth's mom a day or two before. She's a shopping pro, too. The boots are suede, from Born, which is not a cheap shoe maker, so to score these real suede boots for only $34 felt like a real accomplishment. 

It's funny how pieces in your wardrobe find their way to each other. The boots were so well made and classic, I knew they would be a good investment. The skirt was too cute to pass up at that price and then when I saw the top, I realized that I was on the verge of a really fun outfit. Shopping your closet can be much the same, actually. Pull out pieces you don't always wear and you might surprise yourself with the outfit ideas that come to mind. And if to pieces seem so completely opposite that they can't possibly go together, try it anyway. There's a reason they say opposites attract. 

2 comments:

The Cat and The Cow said...

I LOVE this!!!! Such a great pairing and you found such great deals on all those pieces! I love a great bargain!

20 YORK STREET said...

That Ann Taylor top looks fantastic on you! and you're right.. sequins + miltary = WINNER!

Stay Happy and Positive!

besos,

ML


20 YORK STREET

Related Posts with Thumbnails