Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

Faux fur is all the rage these days, especially in vest form. Thanks in part to Rachel Zoe, the trend has really taken off. Of course, real fur will always be a controversial topic, but I'm not one to judge your choice in the matter. Someone once said to me that they felt less guilty wearing mink when they heard they were fairly wretched, evil animals. I don't really know if there's any truth behind her statement, but if it lets her wear mink and sleep through the night, then that's her prerogative. Personally, I try to only purchase real fur if it's vintage, and I stick to the faux stuff if I'm buying new. I figure that I'm not creating a high demand for real fur that way. Although I do worry with my faux fur choices if I'm purchasing something that's highly environmentally damaging. It seems to me that faux fur, much like many other textiles common to the fashion industry, would be pretty damaging in terms of pollutants and whatnot. If you know more about this or know of a good resource for information on this topic, please leave a comment!

As I said, regardless of your feelings on fur, the trend right now is hot. I've found some really fabulous fur and faux-fur pieces for your shopping and viewing pleasure. Enjoy!


Kennedy Faux Fur Vest, Ella Moss, $258

Kristen Blake Faux Fur Vest, Nordstrom, $108 (Plus size only)

Kristen Blake Cropped Faux Fur Coat, Nordstrom, $138 (Plus size only) 


Vintage Mink Wrap, Etsy, $150
(WHAT is with this girl's outfit? Seriously? Nude fishnets with a cami and ruffled high waist hot pants? I'm afraid I can't support this decision.The mink, however, is gorgeous. Too bad the photo is ruined by every other garment in it. Tragic.) 




Antarctic Rabbit Fur Cape, LA Vintage, $216

Fur Capelet, XOXO, $49

Copper Tiered Swing Coat, Fabulous Furs, $199

As I mentioned above, I'm not interested in getting into the highly controversial subject of wearing real fur. Instead, I want to offer some guidelines for looking your best in a fur or faux fur piece of clothing. The thing about fur is that it can be rather bulky and heavy-looking. Although the current trend includes boxy vests and coats, I would caution you against them, especially depending on your body type. Since there are so many synthetic options, look for ones with tailoring, like the first and third vests pictured. The fact that they are cinched at the waist helps keep them from looking too boxy and shapeless. If you fall in love with a boxy vest for its soft texture, or its coloring, don't despair- you could always add a belt at the waist to cinch it in. 

When selecting a fur/faux fur piece of clothing for yourself, be honest about how well it flatters your body. Look for pieces that are in proportion with your body. Unless you are very tall and slender, a full capelet (like the white one pictured above) is not going to work. Also, consider how thick the fur itself is and how flattering that is on your body. There are many different types of furs and faux furs and some are actually very sleek and short, so don't feel as though you have to choose a piece that is as fluffy as a Fraggle Rock Muppet. Follow the same rules you would for any other outerwear garment, but err on the side of being even more fitted and sleek because even the shortest fur will be more bulky and thick than your average wool outerwear. 

Thanks for reading and don't forget to leave a comment- I love hearing from the people who read this blog! 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails