Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Saturday Dress Code: Black

I feel as though nearly ever profession I've worked in, I've been required in some way to wear black. When I worked as a musician, black was required for performances. When I worked in theatre, black was required when working backstage. Now, at my new job at the bridal shop, black is required on the weekends. I don't mind it, but even with all those black clothing requirements throughout the years, I haven't really amassed much that's suitable for my current needs. My musician clothing was mostly formal wear. My backstage attire consisted mainly of t-shirts and black sweatpants or yoga pants (they're the most comfortable for running around backstage). Now, I need black clothing that's comfortable, but professional. I don't need to wear a suit or anything really fancy, but what I wear does need to be all black. Some of the sales consultants push the boundaries by wearing grey or adding pops of color here and there. I'm not sure how I feel about that, so for now I'm going to try to stick with all black. I did a bit of shopping last Friday and got a handful of black items from Old Navy. My plan moving forward is to try to find black separates rather than black dresses. (Although, if I find some great casual/professional LBD's, I won't turn 'em down!) Regardless of whether it's separates or dresses, my main goal is to keep black from being an ultra boring snooze-fest.

For starters, I got this skirt from Old Navy:

High Waist Skirt, $25 (It has a cute exposed zipper in the back- fun!)

I also bought this sweater at the bargain price of $9, although on the website it appears to be quite a bit more than that: 


I also got a cute scoop-neck tee with a satin trim along the neckline. I can't find it on Old Navy's website, so I'll have to take a picture with an outfit at some point to show you. I think it's going to be a versatile top for me because it's long enough to wear untucked, but it also looks good tucked into the new skirt. I have a handful of other basic black tops to incorporate into my black weekend uniform, but I'm also going to keep an eye out for some comfortable, but flattering and stylish black pants as well as some interesting black accessories. 

I kind of like these other options, also from Old Navy: 







Maybe I'll allow myself a smidge of leeway in the accessories department , or at least in the jewelry department. Any thoughts? Do you have a dress code for your job? What does it entail? Leave a comment and tell me all about it! 

3 comments:

Maria said...

Our CFO wears ratty old jeans and sweatshirts. Some have holes in them. Anything I could POSSIBLY wear makes me shine compared to that!

Renée T. Habashy said...

Ugh. That stinks. I hate when the people who are supposed to be setting the example do that. At least it makes you look better by comparison. Every cloud has a silver lining, I suppose.

Maria said...

Yeah, he doesn't care how unprofessional it looks. But honestly, I keep my outfits MANY notches above that. Nobody gave me a dress code, so I decided on Business Casual or better. For example, on the rare occasions that I wear jeans, I make sure they are dark wash and I pair them with a jacket and heels to keep the look professional.

Related Posts with Thumbnails