Monday, June 14, 2010

Prada B.Y.O. Bags

Have you all heard about the new Prada B.Y.O. Bag line? They are cotton tote bags bearing the Prada logo and made using archived Prada prints and they will be retailing for $295.





I don't know about you guys and gals, but my canvas and cotton tote bags are mostly the free or $1 type that you get at the grocery store or at community events. They work just fine when I go to the Farmer's Market and I hardly mind if a strawberry gets squished and stains the bag. I'd be incensed if I stained my $300 Prada bag with fruit juice! Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a beautiful designer handbag, but all the ads are touting this line as "the cheaper" version of a Prada handbag. It's supposedly the more financially accessible bag for those of us who can't afford a real Prada handbag at Neiman's or Barney's. Somehow, I find that a tad insulting. If I can't afford a real Prada handbag (which I can't), what on earth makes you think I'm going to shell out nearly $300 for a glorified shopping bag just because it says "Prada" on it? For that price, I could get a real, leather handbag from a designer like Michael Kors or Coach, or maybe even two designer handbags for that price if I shop at Marshalls or SYMS.

I admit the archived prints used on the bags is a pretty cool idea, but I'd rather see a great diffusion line of skirts or dresses made with vintage Prada prints, or maybe they could price these particular bags a little more afforably but only make a limited number of each print. Or better yet, actually handbags, not tote bags, made with these prints. The archived prints they selected certainly are beautiful. I'm particularly fond of the ones in the 2nd picture. But I don't love them enough to buy a cotton tote bag for $295. $295!!!

Even $50 per bag is way too excessive for a cotton tote that will likely be best used carrying asparagus and tomatoes from the farmer's market or a towel and sunscreen for a trip to the beach. But at $50, I'm slightly less insulted by the "cheaper version of a Prada handbag" advertising spin. And I'll be honest, even if they were $50 instead of $295, I still think I'd pass.

What about you? What do you think of Prada's B.Y.O. Bag line? Frivolous or fabulous?

2 comments:

Beth said...

I have to admit, when it comes to pricy bags, if I am going to spend a small fortune I want soemthing pesides a label on a plain old bag. prada has some cute bags this eason, but I am sticking with my whole food tote for everyday schlepping

Beth said...

Seriously, what are they thinking? This just makes the uber-high-end labels seem that much more out of touch.

Related Posts with Thumbnails