Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Don't fire till you see the whites of their eyelets...

Yesterday was Memorial Day, so for those of you still following the rule of "No white between Labor Day and Memorial Day," consider yourself liberated from your self-imposed wardrobe prison. I say "self-imposed" because that rule is basically no longer a rule. Wear white all year if you like and definitely don't stop yourself from putting on an outfit that makes you feel great just because some antiquated rule says it's too early. (Just please don't EVER wear white to a wedding unless you are the bride. That rule still applies.)

Anyway, while June 1st may not be the official beginning of summer, it certainly has that feeling of, "It's time for summer clothes!" It was 90 degrees here over the weekend, so it certainly feels like summer outside! In honor of both summer weather and the passing of Memorial Day, I'd like to share with you one of my faorite summertime fabrics: white eyelet. There is something so summery about not only white, but white eyelet. It also feels very romantic to me for some reason. When I made my white sundress a few months ago, it was to fulfill my need for a white eyelet dress. Unfortunately, the fabric was not eyelet, but rather a pretty lace-embellished cotton and at the time, it put a band-aid on the open wound in my wardrobe. Unfortunately, now it's true summer weather, so that need for an eyelet dress is back. I'm not sure if I'll buy one or make one- it sort of depends on a few different factors. But if I decide to buy one, there are plenty of options out there right now. If you're interested in an eyelet piece to add to your summer wardrobe, here are some fabulous options:



Eyelet Textured Dress, JCPenney, $49.99

This is perhaps my favorite eyelet piece that I've found. I love the neckline and the silhouette of the dress. Also, the straps are wide enough that there would not be any issues hiding a bra strap. (Speaking of undergarments, please, please, please wear beige or nude undergarments with white clothing. For some reason people still think that white undergarments go under white clothing, but that is not the case. White under white will ALWAYS show. Beige or nude under white will not. I promise.)


A tad pricey for a skirt, if you ask me, but this one is oh-so flattering and just screams, "breezy and light." It will be a staple in your summer wardrobe for years to come.


Isn't this top gorgeous? I love that it's vintage, but looks modern. You would absolutely find something like this in shops today, so vintage doesn't always mean "old-fashioned." It is the perfect top for basically any summer outdoor activity- from an outdoor concert to a backyard barbeque to a walk in the park or on the beach.


Eyelet Romper, C&C California, $127

I know some of you are loving the return of the romper, so for you I found this fabulous white eyelet version. It's actually really cute and could absolutely be dressed up or down, or even used as a beach cover-up. It's incredibly versatile.

One of the difficult things about white is that it can get dirty very easily. No matter the garment, always wash it after every wear even if it doesn't seem to have gotten dirty. And always follow the washing instructions on the label- that's what they are there for! Whites also tend to get yellow with time, so to avoid that, try the following:

1.) Hang your white outside in direct sunlight- the sun acts as a natural whitener
2.) Never use chlorine bleach as over time this will cause yellowing
3.) Send your white through an extra rinse cycle in the washer to ensure all detergent has been completely rinsed away. Over time detergent deposited in the fabric will cause the garment to yellow. Products like Oxi-Clean are better for washing whites than regular detergent.
4.) Always remove stains immediately

Happy eyelet shopping and wearing this summer!

2 comments:

Breezer said...

I love white eyelet for summer! I have a white eyelet dress I'm dying to wear. I wore it to my wedding rehearsal dinner, but it doesn't fit right now since I still have a bit of baby weight :-(

Love your picks here!

Visit Bella Vita and enter a new giveaway every day this week!

Maria said...

Love your fashion tips. I've been reading a few you did on silhouette and proportion. I'm going to help my mom choose an outfit to wear to a wedding, and she's very petite. I'm not, so reading your advice is helping!

Related Posts with Thumbnails