Monday, June 28, 2010

Delicate and Dainty Pendants

At a time when statement jewelry is all the rage, I keep finding myself drawn to subtler, daintier, more delicate pieces. I tend to dress by the "more is more" philosophy, but there are times when all I want is a simple accessory to embellish my outfit, rather than a bold piece to be the star of it. In that case, a simple chain with a metal pendant fits the bill just right. I'm generally drawn to images of things found in nature:

Flowers:



Leaves:


Birds:

Hummingbird Pendant, Etsy, $5.99

Trees and vines:

Vine Pendant, Etsy, $26.50


Of course, trees and flowers aren't for everyone. My friend Amy often wears beautiful pieces that are abstract,linear, or geometric in their inspiration. Many of her pieces come from a local jewelry maker, Jude Sharp. If you live near Lancaster, and you are looking for a beautiful and unique piece of jewelry, Jude's shop on Queen Street is a great place to start. If you are not in the area, there's always Etsy!


Squares Necklace, Etsy, $27.50



And then of course there are millions of charm pendants to choose from. Some like to choose a pendant based on interests or hobbies or profession. These would work for me:

Scissor Necklace, Etsy, $26

Thimble Pendant, Etsy, $14

Many of these pieces are one-of-a-kind on Etsy, which makes them even more special, if you ask me. In any case, I'm always impressed with artisans who can take a shapeless piece of metal and turn it into something delicate and beautiful like these necklaces and pendants. Maybe someday I'll take a class to learn a little about how to do it myself...

In terms of putting together an outfit with a delicate necklace like these, just be sure to have a plain backdrop for it. An open neckline like a scoop or deep-v are both appropriate choices, but a high necked top like a turtleneck top or boat neck can also be appropriate, especially in the cooler months. Good luck finding the perfect pendant!

1 comment:

Beth said...

I love these. I am actually into tree and flower jewelry. My wedding band looks has pave vines all over it.

Thanks for the link

Related Posts with Thumbnails