Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It ain't easy being... beige?

One of the perks of my job is that I get to spend a lot of time shopping- both online and out in real stores. Unfortunately, I'm often searching for very specific things, but just to make sure I'm aware of what's out there, I try to take in a quick survey of the stores I visit. Today I happened across several beige cotton dresses that really caught my attention. I know, I know- the queen of bold floral prints in bright color combinations is excited about a BEIGE dress? BEIGE?!?!? It's true, though. I'm sure you already know that neutrals are "in" this season and that includes beige. How much beige do I currently have in my closet, you ask? I think I might have one top and one pair of beige wedges. I hate khaki pants of any kind, but a dress? Now that's something I can handle. Unfortunately, none of the dresses I tried on tonight were 100% to my liking. Fortunately, I have access to fabric stores, so I'll likely figure something out that works for me once I have time to sit down at a sewing machine. For those of you less inclined to make your own dress, I offer you these fabulous beige dresses to add to your wardrobe:
Judy or Madeleine Dress, Modcloth, $129


Shore Leave Dress, Modcloth, $47.99


Beach Picnic Dress, Modcloth, $99.99


Drawstring Shirtdress, Gap, $17.99 (Sale)



Tie-Waist Shirtdress, Ann Taylor Loft, $69.50

Perhaps you already have a fabulous beige cotton dress in your closet, but you aren't sure how to style it. Try it with these:




Printed Gauze Scarf, Old Navy, $12.50


Navy Lovergirl Satchel, Nine West, $39.99

I know what you're thinking, "Renee! You've lost your mind! A beige dress with black shoes and a navy handbag? You are breaking so many rules!" Well, freak out if you must, but when you've calmed down, come back and read on. Navy, beige and black are all neutrals and nuetrals go with everything- including each other. In fact, the whole idea of matching shoes to bag to belt, etc. is very outdated. So mix it up whether it's with a beige dress, or khaki pants, or anything neutral in your wardrobe. But don't forget the pop of color. With summer right around the corner, even a lightweight gauze scarf like the one pictured above might be too much. In that case, wear bright jewelry like a pair of turquoise earrings or some colorful bangle bracelets. Or tie the scarf around your waist instead of around your neck. The possibilities are endless, really.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a beige dress to design...

2 comments:

Breezer said...

What a wonderful collection! My favorite is the first one.

Beth said...

I actually really like the first dress too- especially for you. I reminds me of the dresses you wear- just beige. It has that classic shape to it. I like the beach picnic dress too. Very cute.

Related Posts with Thumbnails