Saturday, May 1, 2010

Derby Day Designs

It's Derby Day! The 136th Kentucky Derby, a.k.a "The most exciting two minutes in sports," a.k.a. "The Run for the Roses" will run tonight. Will you be watching it? Better yet, will you be there? Someday I would like to attend the Kentucky Derby - it's definitely on my bucket list. Who wouldn't want to experiece an event steeped in such rich history and tradition? And who wouldn't want to put together a fabulous Derby Day outfit complete with an ostentatious hat to finish the look?

I'll be honest, I would probably wear a wide-brim hat, but I would not in a million years try to compete for the most ostentatious, over-the-top hat of the day. There are far too many fierce competitors in that arena. A couple of my favorites:



As fun as these are, I think a hat that big and crazy would just drive me nuts all day long, so something a little (lot) smaller and a little (lot) more subtle and understated would be my approach. Something classic, like Audrey's:


To me, this hat is perfect- it's simple and elegant, but it still makes statement. I'd wear it in life, not just for an event like the Kentucky Derby! How do you feel about hats as fashion? I tend to wear a lot of newsboy caps and straw fedora hats when it comes to fashion, but usually a hat is about function for me. My skin is so fair and incredibly sensitive to sun exposure, so wide brim hats are the most effective in protecting me from getting sunburned.

Now for your enjoyment, a few more Derby hat photos:







Now go get yourself a Mint Julep and watch the race! Happy Derby Day!

1 comment:

Sarah Von Bargen said...

Those hats are *amazing*!

I just wanted to pop over and thank you for entering the giveaway for my Karma Cards on the Daddy Likey blog! We've got a few sets left if you're still keen (cough, shameless self-promotion, cough) ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails