Thursday, April 29, 2010

Romper Rave

My fabulously stylish friend Amy emailed me today about some super adorable rompers she recently added to her wardrobe and they were far too cute for me not to share them on the blog. First, the rompers:

$48 each at Urban Outfitters

She wrote:
"Any thoughts on accessorizing the first one? I'm thinking maybe a belt around my waist...I'd like to be able to do some casual stuff and have a few dressy night-out options w/ it for the summer... Do you think the romper trend is heinous?? I know you don't support the 80's style revival but...some of them are so cute!!"

Ok, for the record, it's not that I don't support the 80's style revival, it's that 1.) We should only be reviving the style choices of the 80's that were actually good and 2.) We should be updating and modernizing them, not just regurgitating them. And now I'm stepping down off my soapbox...

To answer Amy's question, I decided to make a couple of collages.

On-a-casual-afternoon-date:
Gladiator Sandal, Flirt Catalog, $34.50
Skinny Faux Leather Belt, Forever 21, $4.80
Jenna Hobo, Nine West, $39.99
Stringy Chain Earrings, Forever 21, $3.80
Blurred Bangle, Forever 21, $5.80

This may seem like a lot of accessories, but they are all pretty neutral and therefore allow the amazing detail on the neckline to really be the star of the outfit. That's also the reason I've left out a necklace as a styling option. With such a strong detail like the super cool pleated knot on the bodice, it's important to let it be the star and not wear anything that will compete with it.

Hipster-at-the-farmer's-market:


Metallic Stripe Ombre Scarf, Old Navy, $12.50
Joan & David "Zena" Flat, Nordstrom, $99

Ok, so maybe the only thing that make this outfit hipster-esque is the Vonnegut tote bag, but I couldn't resist. Sue me.

Night-out-on-the-town:
Drop Earrings, Aldo, $10
Metal Bangles, Old Navy, $9.50
Textured Platform Pump, Make Me Chic, $26.70
Alligator Pattern Front-Flap Clutch, Stacie's Gifts, $37.50

Once again, the romper is the star of the outfit- every accessory is neutral without being too match-y. The simple gold jewelry glams up the oufit and in those platform heels, your legs will look amazing.

What do you think of the romper trend? Love it? Hate it? Have a million in your closet already?

Thanks to Amy for the inspiration for this post. I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of her in her romper to post on the blog! No pressure, Amy, but I think we'd all enjoy it!

3 comments:

Beth said...

I am so glad you did a post on rompers! I love them this season In your opinion, where do you think it is appropriate for soemone to wear formal rompers?

Renée T. Habashy said...

Good question, Beth! I think you have to be very careful with "formal" or dressy events and rompers simply because they show a LOT of skin on top and bottom- many are strapless and of course the super short hemline shows a lot of leg. If you want to substitue a black romper for an LBD, I recommend wearing it with black tights if weather permits, or a nice bolero shrug to class is up a bit.

Rompers don't always have to be short, though- lots of rompers are knee-length these days and I think that makes them a perfect substitute for a cocktail dress. That's the key word- cocktail. If it's any more formal than cocktail attire, then I'd say the romper isn't appropriate. There are exceptions to every rule, of course, and I'm sure there's a romper out there for nearly every occasion!

amy ! said...

I feel so flattered to be the subject of a post!! The romper debut will be Saturday and I will SO get pictures! Love it!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails