Saturday, April 10, 2010

Accessories Anonymous: Hair!

Even though I am the FIRST one to completely neglect my hairstyle and make-up, deep down I really do understand how important both are in completing any look- whether it's date night, or a formal event, or even just work or a casual outing. My hair has always given me a battle- it never wants to look how I want it to look. It's thin and stringy and has little to no volume. Even teasing it like a Miss South Carolina pageant contestant doesn't seem to work. It just deflates and flattens out and looks terrible. Curls? I'd love to have curls, but once again my hair protests anything interesting or volumous. It doesn't stop me from trying, though.

With hair and make-up, just like with clothing style, it's best to choose a style icon. Model your look after that person. Bring her picture to your stylist and to the store where you buy your make-up. My motto is always: when in doubt, ask a professional. That's what they are there for, after all.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Kathryn Morris' hair. She's the star of "Cold Case" and in the first season her hair was TERRIBLE, but they fixed it and now I love it basically every time I see it. It's almost distracting. I'll find myself zoning out and not paying attention to the plot because I'm mesmerized by her hair! Sad, but true. What I love about her hair is that it has a little volume with really cute side-swept bangs. She often has it teased a bit at the crown to give her a little "bump" but then she pulls it back into a ponytail or bun. (One of my pet peeves on police shows and crime dramas is when the investigators have big, flowy hair. Um, hello? Aren't they always lifting HAIR from the crime scenes? So, wouldn't they at LEAST pull it back? Drives me nuts.) Anyway, finding the style she sports on the show so frequently was actually kind of hard. I found these two photos that show it:


She also sports such a pretty shade of blonde and it looks great with her skin tone. I've never been a huge fan of the pale blonde with dark, tan skin. It reminds me of the Real Housewives of OC and they all look SO plastic to me. Anyway, I love her pale alabaster skin against the super pale blonde. It actually looks quite natural on her.

One of these days I'm going to get the somewhat tousled, messy ponytail with a bump and side swept bangs and I'm going to rock it. I try to wear this look ALL the time, but I never seem to get it quite right. Mine always ends up looking like I'm trying too hard. Kathryn Morris always looks like her hairstyle is effortless. Color me jealous.

How do all of you feel about hair? We all love a good hair day, but how much do you think about your hair with each outfit. Is it always carefully planned as part of your look, or do you just style your hair based on what you feel like doing to it in that moment? I'm always curious about how other people deal with hair.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails