Monday, September 28, 2009

I need YOUR help

You read it right. I mentioned in a previous post that you need to get your stylist caps on because I can't decide on an outfit. Here's the deal: my good friend Amy is getting married on Saturday and it's been a while since I've been to a wedding. I decided not to buy a new dress since I'm certain there is something in my closet that is appropriate. Weddings can be so hard because you want to look like you dressed for the event, but you don't want to pull any focus from the bride or the bridal party. No white allowed and try not to match the color scheme of the wedding if you can help it. Some people say that you should not wear black to a wedding, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a great LBD. So, I've got the possibilities down to a short list of 4 options. I took the pictures this evening after I got home from work and I was racing against the setting sun to get them done. So if they're not fabulously accessorized and styled, forgive me for my haste. I did think it was important to take the pictures in natural light, outdoors because the wedding and the reception will be outdoors. All right, here are the options:

#1: This dress has personal significance because I was with Amy when I bought it. She actually convinced me to get it- and I needed the convincing simply because it was a little pricey. Anyway, I did not regret the splurge for one second. In fact, this is one of my favorite dresses I own. The color is amazing, don't you think? I've paired it with a black clutch that was a gift from Beth for my birthday this year and a fabulous statement necklace- they are so hot right now. The shoes are just a pair of generic black satin heels with a little rhinestone detail on the toe.



#2. I like this dress because it is very subdued and at a wedding, bright colors can sometimes be inappropriate. As you can see, I've kept the shoes and the necklace the same. I clearly forgot to grab the clutch for the picture, but you get the idea. Another reason I like this particular dress is because it's a Renee T. Bouchard original. I made it last summer with fabric purchased for $6. It sure doesn't look like a six-dollar dress, though! I admit, in my haste, this dress suffered the most in terms of overall styling, but I'm confident that with the right accessories I could glam it up a notch or two. Speaking of glam, let's move on to option #3.



#3. This dress is a personal favorite of mine and you may remember it from this post. In this photo, I'm wearing the same necklace as that outfit, but a different pair of shoes. Since the logic behind the don't-wear-black-to-weddings is that black is the color of mourning, I figured I could negate the funeral-esque quality with a pair of hot pink rhinestone heels. I don't put much stock in that rule to begin with- in my opinion, if you look best in an LBD, then go for it! I changed out the clutch for a sparkly beaded bag for that extra punch of retro glam and also to send the point home that this dress is NOT for a funeral!



Since the light washed out the necklace so much, I'll repeat the picture of it from the original post so you can get the full effect of it. Just ignore my blotchy red face for now:



#4. This last dress is perhaps my favorite, but I think that is clouding my judgement. It's my favorite outfit, so I want to wear it, but is it really wedding appropriate? That's why I need your help! I think any of the previous three options would be fine- no one would really frown upon them for any reason. This one? I don't know- there's something about it that I love, but I need opinions as to whether or not it's really ok to wear it. It's another Renee T. Bouchard original (the dress, anyway). It's a royal blue matte taffeta with velvet polka dots and a cool ruffle down the front. I've styled it with a black patent leather belt, cute black satin bolero shrug, the same black shoes as the above options, the same black clutch and black chandelier earrings. I'm loving it. What about you?


All four options are equally comfortable. Depending on the weather, I may have to consider different jacket options, but so far the forecasts look good. So, all things being equal, which one is your favorite? Leave me a comment and tell me which one is the best choice. I'll be on the edge of my seat! 

5 comments:

Sew Ninja said...

Number 3! It's classy, sophisticated and very elegant. I love the red shoes!

Wear Necessities said...

I like your LBD in #3 the best but I like your hair down in #1 the best! Good luck!

Beth said...

I love #4 for the cuteness factor. Is the wedding very formal? If it's very formal, I'd go with the LBD–so sophisticated, and extremely dancing friendly.

Beth said...

One more thought: I just enlarged the picture of #1, and I love the detailed pleating and the gathering on the dress, as well as the color. BUT, I'm not sure the necklace is 100% right. It breaks over the front of the dress, and I think the neckline of this is better as a frame for something smaller, that doesn't fall below your décolletage. Does that make sense? Otherwise, I do like this dress a lot, too...

Renée T. Habashy said...

Thanks so much to all of you for the great feedback- you are the best. I'll let you know what I decide on come Saturday!

Related Posts with Thumbnails